Residential Rent Review Programs
Residential Rent Review Program
On May 23, 2017, the Concord City Council adopted Ordinance 17-7, establishing a Chapter 19.40 Residential Rent Review Program of the Concord Municipal Code. The new Rent Review Program became effective on June 23, 2017.
About the Program
It allows tenants who experience rent increases exceeding 10% in a 12-month period to seek non-binding conciliation and mediation services through a housing counselor retained by the City. In the event that the conciliation and mediation services do not result in a resolution to the conflict over the rent increase, tenants have the option of seeking non-binding arbitration at a public meeting through a three-member Rent Review Panel appointed by the City Council. Participation in the conciliation, mediation and public arbitration process is mandatory for property owners.
The Ordinance applies to all Concord rental properties with three or more rental units, except in triplexes in which one of the units is owner-occupied and in rental units owned or operated by any government agency or whose rent is subsidized through any government program.
Tenants can request Rent Review services when:
- A renter receives a rent increases over 10%
- A renter receives more than one rent increase in a 12 month period and the total of all rent increases exceeds 10% in the 12 month period
Residential Rent Review Documents
Review the following documents if you are interested in the Residential Rent Review. To request a rent review, please email ECHO Housing or call at 855-275-3246.
- Residential Rent Review Program Informational Flyer (PDF)
- Residential Rent Review Outreach Presentation (PDF)
- Notice of Availability (PDF) of Rent Review Required. Landlords of rental units that fall under Chapter 19.40 of the Concord Municipal Code must provide this notice to tenants with notification of any rent increase.
- Rent Review Conciliation Request Form (PDF)
- Rent Review Conciliation Request Form Spanish (PDF).
For other questions please email Sophia Sidhu, City of Concord Housing Program Analyst or call at 925-671-3387.