City of Concord, California




  • Encroachment permits are governed by the Concord Municipal Code, Article VII, Chapter 2.
  • An Encroachment Permit is issued by the City and obtained by the person, firm, or organization that proposes to do work or encroach upon a public right-of-way of water course.
  • Encroachment shall include going over, upon, under, or using any public right-of-way or water course in such manner as to prevent, obstruct, or interfere with it's normal use, including the performance of any of the acts listed under Article VII, Chapter 2 - Section 7203 of the Concord Municipal Code.
  • An encroachment can be temporary such as an overload permit on a roadway, or they can be permanent such as a sewer connection.
  • Most encroachment permits can be issued directly over the counter by Building, Engineering and Neigborhood Services staff.
  • Plans for the proposed work must be reviewed and approved by Community and Economic Development Department staff prior to the issuance of the permit.
  • When work is being performed subject to encroachment regulations by any person, firm or corporation, pursuant to a contract with the City, the City will issue a "no-fee" permit for such encroachment.
  • No fees are required at the time of permit application review.
  • Community and Economic Development Department will review the required information, determine the permit conditions, permit fees and if any additional information is required.
  • Usually, the improvement plans for major subdivisions, minor subdivisions, use permits and other major projects have been approved and distributed prior to the application for an encroachment permit. In these cases, no additional plans are required with the permit application.
  • For standard items of work in the public right-of-way, such as curb and gutter, sidewalk, driveways and sewer laterals, City's Standard Plans and Specification are required. The applicant will be notified of the fees due when the permit is ready for issuance. Specifications

Temporary Encroachments

A temporary encroachment is one which will exist for a predetermined, limited period of time, as stated in the conditions of the permit issued. Temporary encroachments include, but are not limited to:

  • Obstructions due to construction
  • Travel of overloaded or overwidth vehicles
  • Use of sidewalk or roadway by vendors
  • Building moves

Permanent Encroachments

Applicant must record the permanent encroachment agreement with the County Recorders Office after approval by the Planning Department and Community and Economic Development Department.

No applicant shall be granted a permit for an encroachment that is planned to continue for an indefinite period of time without first entering into an encroachment agreement with the City. No encroachment agreement shall be considered or approved if the applicant has an application for a discretionary permit, license or other entitlements pending before an approving body of the City until final action on the application has been taken by the approving body. Such permanent encroachments include but are not limited to:

  • Home street numbers painted on City curb
  • Pipe or conduit installation
  • Installation of fence, tree, hedge, etc.
  • Awning overhangs
  • News racks, telephone booths
  • Restaurant tables in public right-of-way (Sidewalk Cafes)

Prohibited Encroachments

The following encroachments are specifically prohibited as stated under Article VII - Section 90-205 of the Municipal Code.
No applications will be accepted nor permits issued therefore:

  • Construction or maintenance of a loading dock on or in a public right-of-way
  • Erection or maintenance of a post, pole, column, or structure for the support of advertising signs
  • Installation or maintenance of underground tanks, vaults, or elevators, except that underground vaults may be permitted as a part of facilities owned by public utilities.
  • Erection, installation, or maintenance of posts, poles, or columns for the purpose of carrying lights intended primarily for lighting of abutting private property
  • Installation or maintenance of signs bearing flashing or moving lights, except for temporary warning signs, barricades, or flashers required for protection of the public during construction operations
  • Construction or placement of any fill, wall, pipe, column, pole, fence, tree, shrub or any other thing which would constrict and reduce the capacity of any watercourse to carry stormwater.

Emergency Work

Article VII, Section 90-206

Liability, Indemnification of City of Concord

Article VII, Section 90-251

Public Safety Requirements

Article VII, Section 90-252

Any questions or concerns should be referred to the Permit Center located at 1950 Parkside Dr., Building D, or call (925) 671-3425.

City of Concord CA