Climate Careers / Green House Calls
During the Summer, the City of Concord partners with Rising Sun Center for Opportunity to promote water conservation and energy efficiency via its youth employment program, Climate Careers. The Climate Careers program trains and employs local youth to provide resource conservation audits and efficiency upgrades to local residents through "Green House Calls."
The services are provided to residents at no cost thanks to Rising Sun Center for Opportunity's partnership with the City, East Bay Municipal Utility District, Pacific Gas and Electric, and the Bay Area Regional Energy Network. No on-going obligations are necessary to those that participate in the program. Sign-up today by calling (510) 665-1501, ext. 300 or online.
Green House Call
The Green House Call includes:
- Walking through the house and yard with you, looking for water-conservation and energy-saving opportunities,
- Replacing all incandescent bulbs with energy-saving LED bulbs,
- Installing high-efficiency faucet aerators and shower heads (all the pressure without the water waste!),
- Inspecting all toilets for efficiency and leaks,
- Installing of Advanced Power Strip (approximately $50 value),
- Discussing how to water your yard more efficiently, checking your water meter, water pressure, and irrigation system,
- Discussing eco-friendly recycling, energy, and water conservation tips to help you save money,
- Providing a solar assessment, and
- Providing information about the Bay Area Regional Energy Network's Home+ Program that offers up to $5,000 in financial assistance and cash rebates for home energy improvements.
You'll Start Saving Right Away
After your Green House Call, Rising Sun will let you know about other rebates and free programs, including in-depth services like bill discounts, weatherization, attic insulation, and more. Rising Sun will help guide you to the government and utility programs that match your qualifications.
Following is a summary of past success from the program:
|Year||Households Served||Youth Employed||Energy Saved||Water Conserved|
||84||5||14,285.57 Kilowatt hour (kWh) per year||264,000 Gallons per year|
||149||7||26,829.55 kWh per year||476,520 Gallons per year|
||294||9||26,843.9 kWh per year||437,000 Gallons per year|